23 Aug 2012

UL Hydration Packs: Daklapack

Hello dear reader,

Today I would like to share a new hydration system with you. Well, not really a system, more like a Platy Bottle but I think it might be better because it is a) cheaper and b) lighter.

The 2,5L and 1L Daklapack Spoutbag

Put everything aside and read on to learn more

I got the idea during my visit to laufbursche, when I tried a pack on he filled them with soft water bottles and I noticed something I hadn't seen before. A quick peek at the bottom said 'Daklapack' so once home, I started searching the internet. I came across their site which was Belgian, that was good news, maybe they sell them here? When I looked a bit further I saw to my surprise they had their offices in Kortrijk, 3km from where I live, well that's swell! For sure they could sell me some spoutbags right?

I went browsing in their catalog and on page 64 and 66 I saw what I was searching for, a transparent spoutbag. It came in different sizes: 1L, 2,5L, 5L, etc. I promptly emailed Daklapack to ask them how I could buy some (standard orders are around 500 pieces, yikes!) and they answered quickly they would send me some samples from the desired sizes.

Sure enough, a few days later I received 3x1 liter bags and 2x2,5 liter bags, just as ordered. It even had a card on it saying "best regards, the Daklapack team", how sweet! Best part of it all: they were free!

The order has arrived!

The Pros and Cons

In this part I will compare the Daklapacks with their primary competitor, the Platy Bottle from Cascade Designs.

Platy Bottles are made of are made from Polyethylene, which I think is a soft plastic but still strong. 
Daklapacks are made from PET plastic. The spout internal diameter is 10,6mm, so it's like a drinking sized cap. You do have to be precise when filling them, because that's the only opening.
I have noticed no additional flavour of the water I put in them, so I guess they are taste free (as it should be since they are made to hold beverages and other liquids).

I also like the grip on the 2,5 liter version, it comes in very handy and allows fore easy carrying.

The grip on the 2,5 liter bag

Furthermore they feature a bell-bottom so they can stand up on their own.

Bell-Bottom on the 1L bottle

The disadvantages I noticed first hand(further testing will come in the form of a trip:)) are that the bags have a small opening for refilling, the plastic is not so soft, it gets kinda crinkly especially at the bottom. Also, I am afraid that one of the crinkles will become a fold and then it'll start to leak. I will be on the lookout for that to happen. 
Finally I would like say that they are hard to dry. I leave them in the sun, upside down and bottom-up and still moisture remains. Note that the Platy Bottle also has this problem and on their site FAQ they advise to turn the bottle upside down, let the bottle get some volume and air dry.
Come on dry already!

Weight

This part got me all excited! Can a free bottle be as light as a well designed Platy Bottle, made by a team of outdoor enthusiasts? (hint: scroll up or down for the answer)

The 1L bottle weighs 16 grams


The 2,5L bag weighs in at 27 grams
(fear not: the rubber band is not included)

Apparently 'yes' is the answer. Amazingly enough, the 2,5 Liter bag, even with the grip and so, weighs less than the 2 liter Platy Bottle (36g).
The 1 liter bottle weighs a fraction of the 1 liter Plusbottle (38g).

I was quite amazed by these findings, but hey the better for me!


Dimensions

The dimensions of the 2,5 liter bag are:
Height: 31 cm (on the highest point, not the spout)
Width: 22 cm
Bottom when fully loaded: 11,5 cm wide

The 1 liter bottle has follow measurements:
Height: 23 cm
Width: 16,5 cm
Bottom when fully loaded: 8,5 cm wide.

So I hope you liked this sneak peek at my future means of water transport, feel free to ask me more in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. As a long term hiker I continually use my Platypus bottles and they are about the most disappointing pieces of gear I use. No matter what you do the Platy will start leaking after some months of use. Just recently I bought a Platy that was leaking right from the start. The company does not seem to have a quality control.
    Therefore I am very much interested in the bottles you present but I wonder whether you can connect them with any drinking tube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for dropping by!
      I have also heard complaints about Platy Bottles, my friend Jonas has used a Big Zip and it broke at the side in 4 days.

      I am also looking forward testing these, although I cannot assure you they will get the long term testing you offer to your gear. I will update after each trip and maybe you can mail the company? They are friendly people.

      As whether one can attach a tube to it I honestly do not know, they have standard screw caps but these are about 1cm in diameter. The spout, with screw-thread is around 12-14mm diameter.
      So maybe you can find a system that fits that?

      Delete